Sunday, May 27, 2007

The One-Upper, The Beggar and the Failed Parent

The One-Upper: Ugggh. Is there anything more irritating than this person? They've done it better, longer, stronger, etc. No matter what you say, they'll one up you. It's irritating to say the least. I was talking to someone the other day about this very subject and I mentioned that I thought the One-Upper did what they did best due to a low self esteem. In "real" life, they're shit so they have to build themselves up as to appear better than they really are/feel. The person I was talking to disagreed and offered up this rationale. The One-Upper has a very HIGH opinion of themselves and actually believes that they've got one up on everyone else. Either way, these individuals are just draining aren't they? I wonder if they realize that about themselves. Maybe they will after reading my blog.



The Beggar: Where I can tolerate The One-Upper, I fall short patience wise with The Beggar. You cannot eat next to The Beggar. They assume that everything YOU have is community property and proceed to beg off on your lunch. One Beggar I know actually got pissed that I ate all of something that I brought for myself. WTF? I'm no soup kitchen, buy your own damn food and stop whining at the table for mine. If you were a dog, I'd smack your snout and tell you to go lay down. Now wouldn't that be priceless!



The Failed Parent: Ahhhh, one of my all time favorites. These people are a wealth of information on what not to do as a parent. Who needs parenting books when you have these people around. Here's a newsflash for you: You cannot be your child's best friend and their parent at the same time while they're children. Your children will have many friends, they only get ONE set of parents. Your kid walks all over you because they don't respect you or your authority because you haven't acted like a parent, you've acted like a friend. See the difference? Put your foot down and follow through with your threats. This is one of the BIGGEST mistakes I've witnessed from people. They make IDLE threats that they have no intention of carrying out. Your kid isn't stupid, in fact they're very, very smart. It only takes ONE time of you not carrying out one of the idle threats for your kid to figure out that you're full of hot air. They'll walk their little butts allllll over you. I see it EVERY DAY. My DH see's it even more often than that. I could go on for hours about this very subject but alas, I have more pent up blogs to come out so I must end this. Here is my parting advice:
Be a parent. That is what you signed on for when you were given this gift called your child. You can be their friend when they're grown adults. If you find that you cannot do this, for God's sake quit bitching about how bad your kid is. You created the monster, YOU live with it. I'm tired of hearing about it.

No comments: